Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Monuments Men, Heartbreaking Yet Uplifting

Usually when a theme gets stuck in someone's head it is the main theme, but oftentimes I realize that the more I listen to scores the less this applies to me. I am beginning to find that even small, intricate themes can easily plague my present thoughts in a continuous manner. Thus, this brings me to today's score: Alexandre Desplat's beautiful score for WWII film The Monuments Men. 

Since this is a film during the Second World War, military sounding techniques and instruments are not scarce, but aside from the heroic main them, there are a few smaller parts that offer more delicate, smaller themes. The one I have an incredible memory of at this moment can be heard in "The Letter."

I have yet to listen to a Desplat score that isn't just pleasantly extraordinary. The Monuments Men is full of references to the main theme which is played in several different ways. Certain areas of the score produce a mysterious sound, and during the military inspired parts there is a sense of intensity which is both delicate and strong. These parts are usually when they are being chased, have little time, or are in danger in general. The more emotional scenes are very clear and obvious, as I believe that Desplat does these parts most excellently. 

The album ends with Nora Sagal singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," which I personally think is a creative way of wrapping it all up despite inconsistencies in the order when compared to the film itself. 

While this film is heartbreaking yet uplifting, and ends in an exciting victory, wherever you are today I truly hope that you can find peace despite life's junk. Take a listen to Alexandre Desplat's score and forget it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment