Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Tribute To Jerry Goldsmith

Jerry Goldsmith is an iconic legend in film score history. He has scored for over 100 films including hits like Alien, Air Force One, and The Mummy. I would like to commemorate him today.

Here is two of my favorite quotes, and they happen to be his:

"The function of a score is to enlarge the scope of a film. I try for emotional penetration - not for complementing the action. For me, the important thing about music is statement. I can't describe how I arrive at the decision to make a statement, I simply feel it and react to it."

"If our music survives, which I have no doubt it will, then it will because it is good."

Do you remember the Universal Studios theme? Jerry Goldsmith was the one who composed it. It runs a short 25 seconds, but that doesn't take away the epicness of it. Let's hear it again. Ready...take two!



Jerry Goldsmith also had a good career with Disney. He Scored the music for Mulan and one of my all-time favorites: from the Walt Disney World EPCOT Center, Soarin'




In the two albums that I have fore you below, Jerry Goldsmith perfectly combined themes that brought both "emotional penetration" and a great amount of action. They would always begin with a soft theme, then plunge into the intensity of the action. Soon after, you were soothed by a return to the calmness that was presented to you in the beginning. Jerry Goldsmith was easily one of the best film composers of all time. Wouldn't you agree?

Now sit back and relax as I proudly present to you:
(I apologize in advance for any mixed up track listings)

The Mummy




Here is a live orchestra playing the song "The Sand Volcano".




Air Force One


Ah, and for Jerry Goldsmith's amazing score for the 1997 film Air Force One. Randy Newman originally composed the music that was expected to be featured in this film, but instead, it was rejected. His music was rather disrupting to the hearing and seemed to not fit the film at all. I think that he should stick with A Bug's Life. Jerry Goldsmith took the job with an impossible deadline approaching very fast. He successfully completed his incredible score in just one week! Jerry Goldsmith said that he "would never take another last minute job again."

No comments:

Post a Comment