Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Return of... Alice: Through The Looking Glass

   What is your favorite kind of music? Do you prefer the lighthearted Randy Newman, intense Brian Tyler or Hans Zimmer, classical John Williams, or maybe the strange and bizarre Danny Elfman? These are obviously just a few of the thousands of gifted and noteworthy composers out there. I cannot say for certain which type I am most inclined to listen to, I hear it all! There are times where I feel in the mood for a specific kind of music, but how does one go about discovering that type of music? There are several services out there that offer mood-based radio, but I'm not a big fan because they mix all genres instead of isolating scores.

   What genre is your favorite? Are you a soundtrack/score aficionado, or are you a mix of a bunch of genres? My family does not understand why I don't like their "preferred" music, which mostly includes classic rock from the 80's. I have a wide range of music appreciation and interest, but it all lies in the orchestral genres, covering games, films, trailers, etc. even classical music. Whatever kind of music you love wholeheartedly, don't let anyone convince you otherwise. I still have a mixed opinion of rock, but if that is what you love, nothing can change that except for experiences and time. 

   Now, let me get back to the topic for today, which was...



   Alice: Through The Looking Glass did not do so well opening week. I wasn't sure what to think of the film initially since it seemed like a bit of Déjà vu with recurring themes of "Where have you been Alice, it's been a long time?" from the previous film. Regardless, I have not seen it, therefore I cannot give an accurate review, but I can attest to the fact that the score is far superior to the first. This usually doesn't happen, especially in the case of John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon. The first blew us away, and while the second is excellent and consistent with the series, it did not come close to the original. 

   Danny Elfman's new score is interesting, bizarre, and similar enough to the first in order to continue the main theme and overall feel. Alice's theme is nearly unchanged and the instruments remain the same (take note of the organ in the theme), but there are more interesting themes and sections that I found to be much more interesting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment