Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Not That Again!

Do you have a song that you fell in love with that you almost hate now because repeat killed it? Most likely it is the main theme from a film or game. Trailer music can do this as well, but slightly easier than film or game music.

I cannot say that I have a song or album that I can't stand anymore because I purposely create variety in what I listen to. But when you encounter that "this is so epic, I can't imagine life without this" song, you are hopelessly repeating it over and over. Does it ever get boring?

This happens sometimes to me, mostly with trailer music. When I first started getting interested in soundtracks I would play only the main themes from albums instead of taking each album in as a whole. This does increase the longevity of your music, but at the same time there isn't anything wrong with listening to just the themes.

I haven't encountered the issue in a while because of my vast library. I bounce from trailer music, to game, then to film, and repeat. After all, music that fits your mood is much more enjoyable, right? Audiomachine and Two Steps From Hell for physical work to push through the pain, Alexandre Desplat and/or John Williams for a relaxing weekend, or maybe a long drive with exciting game music.

One thing that I noticed when I was using my 3 months of Apple Music was that I really missed my personal library. Those 3 months were spent catching up on all the newest releases and artist discovery. I stayed away from albums I already owned. I know what albums I have and I know which ones to match with my current mood. I was actually excited to end the trial and come "home" again, even though I had listened to an album a few hundred times.

Still, nothing beats the experience of listening to a new score that you haven't heard before. What do you think? Are you attached to your library as I am with mine? Do you find a song or album tedious due to constant playback?

No comments:

Post a Comment