Thursday, April 14, 2016

Frozen

Yeah, I know. Your ears are probably bleeding from hearing Let It Go incessantly since Frozen exploded the big screen. Let me relieve this undesirable burden from you by not making you listen to any of the songs with lyrics. Yes, they are well made, but we need to stop and listen to the music behind the scenes, the stuff that you kind of catch during the movie.

There is some really great themes written by Christophe Beck that are easily missed for the way too popular lyrical songs. For starters, this has that classic Disney sound to it that all other Disney music has. With believable action and magical themes, I enjoyed this more than I expected. I have listened to this before, but given the chance to really focus on the music, I am able to really appreciate it.

The album begins with the track Elsa and Anna, a happy and light theme that incorporates the action/conflict theme (heard slightly in the beginning) gradually transitions from fun to intense. A new theme is introduced with The Trolls, one that I think is the most unique in the album. Excitement rises in Coronation Day and the party begins in Winter's Waltz, which gives us a glance of a theme from Olaf's song, I believe it is.

Like every other Disney movie, you get quite a bit of pizzicato which helps at lightening the mood and creates a great transition to lean on before or after some action. I enjoyed the more intense parts more than the quieter parts, as I feel they were slightly more interesting. Another thing that I would recommend is to go through the list of songs (either by listening to them all or skipping though) and listen to the instrumental version of Let It Go, the Idina version.

The part that I think is the most impressive about this is the piano work. I personally love the sound of the piano, so it is easy to appeal to my ears this way. It is a well assembled song that is quite impressive. All that is hiding behind those lyrics and aren't heard too easily with them. The theme is not screaming in you face either.

The Epilogue is a great summary of the whole album which contains most of the themes from the songs that you can sing. This mash of everything flows very smoothly and leaves the listener with that classic Disney feeling. The deluxe edition has some great extras (instrumental) like score demos and tracks not present in the standard edition. If you do have this soundtrack already in physical form, chances are you have the deluxe edition because I haven't seen a single standard copy even at Disney in Florida.



No comments:

Post a Comment